Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bright Eyes - The People's Key

Our friend Conner is back with his 7th studio album. The People's Key is a bit of a break away from Bright Eyes older sound. It is a bit more coherent this time around. There are still some traces of dissonant soundscapes but no where near as many as on, say, Fevers and Mirrors. And wait...is that a bit of 1980's synth I hear sprinkled through out? Why yes it is. WAIT! That's a double bass lick?!?! On a Bright Eyes album??? They threw out the rule book on this one and to some moderate success. Do I find this to be their best album? No. It is had to top I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning but this gives it a fair run for its money. Like any band that grows up a little you are going to hear people say Bright Eyes sold out. I say go buy a copy and listen for your self. It is a highly listenable album, I sat through it 3 times before I could drag myself away from it to write this. The only major complaint I have is that the monologue on the track Firewall ran a little long. Once you get through that the album is smooth sailing. Give it a listen.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good review. Thanks, ill have to give it a listen.